Barrow man evades jail for disturbance at FGH
Last updated at 12:20, Saturday, 28 April 2012
A MAN responsible for what a judge called “appalling” behaviour at Furness General Hospital has been given a suspended sentence.
Kenneth Cardy-Neil swore at a nurse, urinated on the floor and picked up and threw a commode at police in the drunken incident, which took place on January 4.
Cardy-Neil, 50, of Egerton Court, Barrow, pleaded guilty to a charge of affray when he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday.
He was given an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, with two years’ supervision.
The supervision will include an alcohol treatment programme and thinking skills programme.
The court heard that a struggle occurred at the hospital, during which Cardy-Neil was “mouthing abuse at all and sundry”, said Judge Andrew Woolman.
Mr Frank Nance, defending, said his client had been very drunk when the “disgraceful” incident occurred in the hospital’s A&E department.
Since then, he has served a prison sentence of 160 days, for a different matter.
The latest case had been adjourned for an assessment to be carried out to see if he would be suitable for an alcohol treatment programme.
Judge Woolman said the earlier time in custody was one of the reasons why he had considered an alternative sentence.
He told Cardy-Neil: “You have a dreadful record for all sorts of offending. You have been in prison many times and also received non custodial sentences many times, often breaching them.
“I have been persuaded to give you one last go, mainly because you spent some time in prison up until a week or two ago. The matter is very much in your hands. You know what the consequences are if you breach this.”
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|