Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow man attacked police officer in drunken night playing ‘catch-up’

A MAN who attacked a police officer after “playing catch-up” on a night out admitted he went too far.

A BARROW man who attacked a police officer after “playing catch-up” on a night out admitted he went too far.

Kyle Holden, 22, of Park Avenue, Barrow, who appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour and to obstructing a police constable while on a night out on November 24.

Police intervened when they saw Holden arguing with a friend outside Manhattans nightclub in Cavendish Street at around 1.30am.

Reading a police report, Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said: “The officer said that one of the males with his back to him, that’s Mr Holden, began throwing punches at the other male.

“When he intervened, the defendant threw his arm back towards him and told him to ‘go away’, but not as politely as that.”

Holden continued to resist the police and was eventually subdued when police used PAVA spray.

The court heard that Holden continued to be unco-operative with police once he was taken to the station.

At one point, he wrapped his legs around an officer, forcing another to punch him repeatedly in the thigh until he let go.

The court heard that Holden had drunk more than he intended to.

Mrs Hine said: “He had met with friends at the Strawberry pub at 5pm and was playing ‘catch-up’ because his friends had been out in town for some time.”

Holden, who appeared without representation, said: “Obviously I regret what I did and I’m sorry for it.

“But I don’t get to go out very often, I care for my nan and I work six days a week so I only get to go out once or twice every couple of months and this time obviously I’ve gone to far. It was a daft thing I did, I went out and I drank way too much, way too fast.”

Holden was given credit for his guilty plea and ordered to perform 80 hours of unpaid work and to pay £85 in costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

The friend who he had been arguing with, Spencer Hoyland, 23, of Clive Street, Barrow, also appeared in court for an offence relating to the same incident.

He pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly in a public place and received a £220 fine, £85 in costs and a £22 victim surcharge.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Should Barrow nightclubs close at 3am on weekends?



Show Result

• Click here to sign up for the Energy For Life - Walney Fun Run

Dining out

MDW plumbing and heating 10 year anniversary

Walk to remember 2014


Going digital

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out