Barrow lifeboat rescues 40-foot-yacht in early morning call out
Last updated at 11:43, Monday, 25 August 2014
IT was an early start to Bank Holiday Monday for the Barrow lifeboat crew who were called to assist a yacht in the Irish Sea.
A 40-foot yacht, with a crew of six, suffered engine failure at 3.10am, 6.5 miles west of Walney.
Barrow’s RNLI lifeboat crew were paged at 3.13am and the lifeboat was launched 14 minutes later with seven crew members aboard under the command of Barrow Coxswain, Shaun Charnley.
The lifeboat reached the yacht by 3.55am and Coxswain Charnley took the casualty vessel under tow for the return journey to Roa Island. The vessel was safely moored at 6.30am and the six people were taken ashore.
The lifeboat was then washed off and re-housed ready for the next service by 7.30am.
First published at 11:42, Monday, 25 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|