Barrow library pervert avoids jail
Last updated at 16:26, Sunday, 01 June 2014
A TEENAGER who was caught downloading indecent images of children in Barrow library after leaving a memory card in a computer has avoided jail.
Paul Brian Martindale, of Anson Street, Barrow, was this week sentenced to three months in a specialist hostel after pleading guilty to 13 charges of making indecent images of children.
Judge Paul Batty, sitting at Carlisle Crown Court, ordered Martindale to sign the sex offenders’ register for five years but the 19-year-old avoided jail, despite being told initially he could be facing 26 weeks behind bars for his crimes.
Martindale, pictured right, who pleaded guilty to the charges at his first hearing, had been caught after a 16-year-old boy found a memory card containing the indecent images in Barrow library.
Library staff called police who then tracked Martindale down using library records.
Police searched Martindale’s home where he told them he had more indecent images stored on his mobile phone and MP3 player.
The 13 counts relate to more than 60 images.
Some of the files dated back to May 28, 2011 and some of the images were classified as being in the most severe category and involved Martindale using an MP3 player and mobile phone to look at the pictures.
Judge Batty sentenced Martindale on Thurs-day.
He was handed a three-year community order, ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for five years and made the subject of a five-year sex offence prevention order.
He was sentenced to a further three months in the Bowling Green Hostel, in Carlisle, where he has been staying.
He will have to hand over a mobile phone, MP3 player and memory card for destruction after accessing the images on the devices.
First published at 16:14, Sunday, 01 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|