X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 25 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow house left uninhabitable after fire started in family’s garage

A FIRE that raged in a garage has left a Barrow home uninhabitable.

Neighbours Charlie and Angela O’Hara were forced to evacuate with their son, Callum, 23, who uses a wheelchair, amid fears the fire and smoke would spread.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue service said the fire began on Sunday night when an occupier of the bungalow, in Bath Street, Barrow, was fixing a motorbike in the garage and ignited petrol.

The garage has been reduced to debris, with the house left uninhabitable. It was next door to Hindpool Sure Start Children’s Centre, but firefighters were able to prevent the blaze from spreading.

Neighbours said a man and his two sons lived in the bungalow.

Mr and Mrs O’Hara witnessed most of the fire.

Mrs O’Hara, 51, said: “At about 7.40pm we started hearing shouting. Someone was in the street screaming. We thought it was some kind of row at first.

“We opened the front door and all we could see was black smoke. We heard a big bang. People were yelling to get out of the house.

“Our main worry was our son, who is disabled. We had to get him out of bed into his chair, throw a duvet round him and get him outside. It all happened so quick.”

The family were unable to return to the house for a few hours.

Mr O’Hara, 55, said: “A fire officer told me the house was completely ruined. The garage is joined to their living room and it spread into there and did some real damage.”

Paul Milburn, watch manager at Barrow fire station, said Blue Watch did the most important work.

He said: “They arrived first and did great work stopping the fire from spreading to the children’s centre.”

The blaze was fought with six fire engines and an aerial ladder platform.

Director of children’s services at Action for Children, Carol Iddon said: “Nobody was hurt in the fire. We are very grateful to the fire brigade for acting quickly and efficiently to minimise damage to the centre.”

The aerial ladder platform remained in Bath Street until yesterday afternoon due to a breakdown.

Have your say

Glad that the family of this home are all safe, sod the nursery next door, it was empty, as it was 8 pm on a sunday, lets hope the family can rebuild a family home after this.
Steve it might sound over the top, but with 3 motorcycles all with fuel tanks, stored in the garage, and with the pictures, it shows they were needed.

Posted by Frankie on 12 February 2014 at 16:21

Saved the school and got the disabled guy out and its not synical its each pump has four people so needed man power and water.

Posted by Cd on 12 February 2014 at 16:18

View all 5 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Should Scotland become independent?

Yes

No

Show Result


• Click here to sign up for the Energy For Life - Walney Fun Run

Energy
Dining out

Go green 30

Iconic

MDW plumbing and heating 10 year anniversary

Walk to remember 2014


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out