Barrow Hotel given permission to add eight rooms
Last updated at 15:20, Friday, 28 February 2014
A HOTEL is replacing its function suite with extra bedrooms due to an increasing demand in the town.
The Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow has been given planning permission to add eight en-suite rooms on the first-floor. They will replace the dance floor, bar and function room used for weddings and other occasions, which will instead be held downstairs in the Vaults live music venue.
The owners were granted listed building consent to make the changes. Boss Phil Simpson said the new rooms should be open in 10 to 12 weeks. Mr Simpson, co-owner of C2 Investment, which owns the Abbey Road building, said: “We have to react to the changing market and Barrow has seen a slight drop in the demand for functions and an ever-increasing demand for hotel rooms for certain parts of the week.
“I’ve not yet worked out what the new Premier Inn is doing to us. It will affect us and all the hotels in the town. But normally these things last 12 weeks or so and then peter out and everyone finds equilibrium again.
“But at the moment, three or four nights a week, we need those extra rooms and we’ve got the space for it.” As part of the changes, the company is investing money to adapt the basement music venue to make it more suitable for functions.
Changes to the venue will include new lighting and decorations to make it a more flexible space.
First published at 15:18, Friday, 28 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
my husband and i stayed at the hotel in the new year.a very well run and comfortable hotel
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Landmark Barrow hotel to make way for garage forecourt
- Arson appeal after Barrow shop fire
- Barrow vandals target mobility scooter
- Flog It! finds a priceless day in Cumbria
- Barrow AFC fans traveling south hit by rail delays as person hit by train
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders need to play as a team - Kendall
- North Lancs and Cumbria League cricket season preview
- Millom out to maintain perfect start
- Holker eye play-off prize
- Sheridan can shine in Barrow AFC title decider
- Lowestoft intent on spoiling Barrow AFC promotion party (2 comments)
- Players know how big this is - Barrow AFC coach Meechan
- Nothing will stop us winning league - Barrow AFC skipper (4 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton