Barrow Hotel given permission to add eight rooms
Last updated at 15:20, Friday, 28 February 2014
A HOTEL is replacing its function suite with extra bedrooms due to an increasing demand in the town.
The Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow has been given planning permission to add eight en-suite rooms on the first-floor. They will replace the dance floor, bar and function room used for weddings and other occasions, which will instead be held downstairs in the Vaults live music venue.
The owners were granted listed building consent to make the changes. Boss Phil Simpson said the new rooms should be open in 10 to 12 weeks. Mr Simpson, co-owner of C2 Investment, which owns the Abbey Road building, said: “We have to react to the changing market and Barrow has seen a slight drop in the demand for functions and an ever-increasing demand for hotel rooms for certain parts of the week.
“I’ve not yet worked out what the new Premier Inn is doing to us. It will affect us and all the hotels in the town. But normally these things last 12 weeks or so and then peter out and everyone finds equilibrium again.
“But at the moment, three or four nights a week, we need those extra rooms and we’ve got the space for it.” As part of the changes, the company is investing money to adapt the basement music venue to make it more suitable for functions.
Changes to the venue will include new lighting and decorations to make it a more flexible space.
First published at 15:18, Friday, 28 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
my husband and i stayed at the hotel in the new year.a very well run and comfortable hotel
Make your comment
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- Haverigg cellmates on ‘Chicken Wing’ hatch cracking business plan
- Woman due in court charged with defrauding Ulverston charity
- Man swipes rucksack in Barrow
- Police find missing Barrow man
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- See the action on TV
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Moffatt in Fantasy land at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Magic Maj takes all 10 wickets for Ulverston CC
- Bushby buzzing after winning golf's Evening Mail Open
- McKinley's delight after his golden moment for Walney Cents
- Barrow CC attack destroy Netherfield
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia