Barrow Hotel given permission to add eight rooms
Last updated at 15:20, Friday, 28 February 2014
A HOTEL is replacing its function suite with extra bedrooms due to an increasing demand in the town.
The Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow has been given planning permission to add eight en-suite rooms on the first-floor. They will replace the dance floor, bar and function room used for weddings and other occasions, which will instead be held downstairs in the Vaults live music venue.
The owners were granted listed building consent to make the changes. Boss Phil Simpson said the new rooms should be open in 10 to 12 weeks. Mr Simpson, co-owner of C2 Investment, which owns the Abbey Road building, said: “We have to react to the changing market and Barrow has seen a slight drop in the demand for functions and an ever-increasing demand for hotel rooms for certain parts of the week.
“I’ve not yet worked out what the new Premier Inn is doing to us. It will affect us and all the hotels in the town. But normally these things last 12 weeks or so and then peter out and everyone finds equilibrium again.
“But at the moment, three or four nights a week, we need those extra rooms and we’ve got the space for it.” As part of the changes, the company is investing money to adapt the basement music venue to make it more suitable for functions.
Changes to the venue will include new lighting and decorations to make it a more flexible space.
First published at 15:18, Friday, 28 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
my husband and i stayed at the hotel in the new year.a very well run and comfortable hotel
Make your comment
- Sandwich and coffee chains serve up jobs boost for town
- Police called to crash off A590
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Firm hopes £5m Barrow Island flats revamp will attract new tenants
- Police investigate report of assault against boy at Barrow AFC ground
- Dalton dad delighted with NHS review role
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (2 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)