Barrow harassment victim was ‘left paranoid’
Last updated at 18:39, Friday, 24 January 2014
A BARROW man appeared at court yesterday for harassment after sending 1,000 texts to his ex-girlfriend in just five days.
Jordan Riglar, 23, faced charges of harassment at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday. He had previously pleaded guilty to the offence.
Riglar, of Vernon Street, Barrow, sent his ex-partner over 500 texts and over 500 Whatsapp messages between January 1 and January 5.
After breaking up with his girlfriend and moving out of their home by December of last year, Riglar’s ex-partner gave birth to their daughter.
After the birth of his child, Riglar made repeated attempts at contacting his ex.
On December 30, responding to a knock at the door, Riglar’s ex found a bag of baby clothes. She later received messages from Riglar asking if she had received them.
He appeared in front of the house again on New Year’s Day, and police had to be called to the scene. From then until January 5, Riglar sent 1,000 mobile phone messages.
The texts mostly concerned the pair’s young baby, their relationship, and Riglar’s situation with the police.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said that Riglar had made his ex-partner feel like a “nervous wreck”, paranoid about walking home on her own and scared that he would show up at the house.
Mr Michael Graham, defending, said that Riglar’s repeated attempts at contact were for the sake of his baby.
Mr Graham said that legal aid is now not offered to fathers who seek contact with their children, so Riglar was forced to deal with the situation on his own.
Chairwoman of the bench, Alison Sturgeon-Dixon, said that the offence warranted a custodial sentence. The magistrates ultimately decided, however, to give a six-week sentence, suspended for 12 months.
Riglar was also given a restraining order, preventing him from making contact with his ex-partner or showing up at her home.
He was also ordered to pay £300 in compensation, £85 in legal costs and an £85 victim surcharge.
First published at 17:14, Friday, 24 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (8 comments)
- Police attend emergency at Barrow town centre toilets (4 comments)
- Alcoholic ex-soldier stole bottle of wine in Barrow (1 comment)
- Doubts raised over nuclear subs move - Cumbria experts have say
- Tributes to Barrow AFC striker and Vickerstown bowler Billy (4 comments)
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|