Barrow gran assaulted daughter and injured ex
Last updated at 16:18, Thursday, 06 December 2012
AN alcoholic who assaulted her daughter while she was on bail for hitting her ex-partner with a beer can has avoided going to jail.
Angela Clark, 46, had already been arrested and bailed for assaulting Michael Bell when she carried out another drink-fuelled attack on daughter Rebecca Clark, Furness Magistrates’ Court heard.
In the first incident, in October, Mr Bell, Clark’s former partner, was with her at a property in Barrow when she began accusing him of being unfaithful.
Clark, who had been drinking, then lost her temper and began hitting him around the head with her fists and an unopened can of beer, cutting and bruising his head.
The second assault occurred on November 6 when Clark was with her daughter’s baby. The court heard the baby’s minder rang Ms Clark Junior to say Clark was interfering and trying to tell her what to do.
Ms Clark Junior returned to her home in Barrow and asked her mother to leave. She tried to grab Clark by the arms, but Clark got hold of her daughter’s hair and dragged her to the floor, before a friend managed to get her to leave the house.
Clark pleaded guilty to two charges of assault when she appeared in court on Tuesday.
Andrew Gibson, defending, said Clark was battling problems with alcohol, which had contributed to both incidents. He said: “It is clearly not her normal behaviour.”
District Judge Gerald Chalk sentenced Clark to 30 days in prison for the first assault and 60 days for the second, both suspended for 12 months.
The judge said she was an “alcoholic” and that the sentences were only suspended on the condition she get help with the problem from Cumbria Alcohol Awareness Intervention, which is part of the probation service.
Clark was ordered to pay court costs of £85 and an £80 victim surcharge.
First published at 16:47, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together