Barrow gran assaulted daughter and injured ex
Last updated at 16:18, Thursday, 06 December 2012
AN alcoholic who assaulted her daughter while she was on bail for hitting her ex-partner with a beer can has avoided going to jail.
Angela Clark, 46, had already been arrested and bailed for assaulting Michael Bell when she carried out another drink-fuelled attack on daughter Rebecca Clark, Furness Magistrates’ Court heard.
In the first incident, in October, Mr Bell, Clark’s former partner, was with her at a property in Barrow when she began accusing him of being unfaithful.
Clark, who had been drinking, then lost her temper and began hitting him around the head with her fists and an unopened can of beer, cutting and bruising his head.
The second assault occurred on November 6 when Clark was with her daughter’s baby. The court heard the baby’s minder rang Ms Clark Junior to say Clark was interfering and trying to tell her what to do.
Ms Clark Junior returned to her home in Barrow and asked her mother to leave. She tried to grab Clark by the arms, but Clark got hold of her daughter’s hair and dragged her to the floor, before a friend managed to get her to leave the house.
Clark pleaded guilty to two charges of assault when she appeared in court on Tuesday.
Andrew Gibson, defending, said Clark was battling problems with alcohol, which had contributed to both incidents. He said: “It is clearly not her normal behaviour.”
District Judge Gerald Chalk sentenced Clark to 30 days in prison for the first assault and 60 days for the second, both suspended for 12 months.
The judge said she was an “alcoholic” and that the sentences were only suspended on the condition she get help with the problem from Cumbria Alcohol Awareness Intervention, which is part of the probation service.
Clark was ordered to pay court costs of £85 and an £80 victim surcharge.
First published at 16:47, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (12 comments)
- Strike planned by health workers from Furness General may be averted (2 comments)
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|