Barrow footballer cleared of spot-fixing
Last updated at 15:05, Sunday, 27 July 2014
A TEENAGE footballer from Barrow, who was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of spot fixing, will not face any charges.
Preston North End star Ben Davies, 18, was arrested in April as part of an investigation by the National Crime Agency.
Davies, who was on loan at York City at the time, was arrested along with five of his Preston teammates.
All six were due to answer police bail on Wednesday but officers contacted the club to say that the players were released from bail and were no longer under any arrest procedure.
All the players involved denied any involvement in spot fixing from the outset.
Spot fixing refers to players agreeing to deliberately influence events within a match in order to fix betting outcomes.
A spokesman for the club said: “In April of this year a number of our players were very publicly arrested in connection with a wider investigation into ’spot fixing’ in football.
“At the time, they were bailed with a date for answering bail subsequently set for Wednesday 30th July 2014.
“We have today been informed that all of our players have been released from bail and are no longer under any form of formal arrest procedure."
Davies, formerly of Cloisters Ave, Barrow, made is professional debut for Preston in January 2013.
The former Roose Primary and Furness Academy pupil spent five years with the Lancashire side’s youth team after being spotted while playing for Furness Rovers as an 11-year-old.
First published at 14:58, Sunday, 27 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together