Barrow footballer cleared of spot-fixing
Last updated at 15:05, Sunday, 27 July 2014
A TEENAGE footballer from Barrow, who was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of spot fixing, will not face any charges.
Preston North End star Ben Davies, 18, was arrested in April as part of an investigation by the National Crime Agency.
Davies, who was on loan at York City at the time, was arrested along with five of his Preston teammates.
All six were due to answer police bail on Wednesday but officers contacted the club to say that the players were released from bail and were no longer under any arrest procedure.
All the players involved denied any involvement in spot fixing from the outset.
Spot fixing refers to players agreeing to deliberately influence events within a match in order to fix betting outcomes.
A spokesman for the club said: “In April of this year a number of our players were very publicly arrested in connection with a wider investigation into ’spot fixing’ in football.
“At the time, they were bailed with a date for answering bail subsequently set for Wednesday 30th July 2014.
“We have today been informed that all of our players have been released from bail and are no longer under any form of formal arrest procedure."
Davies, formerly of Cloisters Ave, Barrow, made is professional debut for Preston in January 2013.
The former Roose Primary and Furness Academy pupil spent five years with the Lancashire side’s youth team after being spotted while playing for Furness Rovers as an 11-year-old.
First published at 14:58, Sunday, 27 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|