Barrow food festival will not go ahead this year
Published at 18:19, Sunday, 11 May 2014
A FOOD festival which attracted thousands of people when it was held for the first time in 2013 will not take place this year.
The first-ever Barrow Foodie Fest was a runaway success when it was held in the town centre over two sun-drenched days in June last year.
The culinary celebration was organised by Barrow Traders Association and Barrow Borough Council and featured more than 50 stalls and demonstrations from star chefs including Jean-Christophe Novelli and Simon Rimmer.
However, the council says it is unable to provide financial backing this year, due to significant funding cuts.
BTA chairman Stuart Groundwater had appealed for manpower and sponsorship in a bid to stage a festival in 2014.
However, at the traders’ monthly meeting this week, it was decided that Foodie Fest 2014 would not go ahead. Despite attempts to raise awareness, there had been insufficient support and funding.
Mr Groundwater said: “The BTA has made the sad decision not to go ahead with Foodie Fest 2014, after attempts to get community-minded people involved failed.
“The local council is supportive of the festival but cannot help or offer any physical or financial support due to funding restraints.”
Despite the setback, Mr Groundwater insisted it was still possible to revive the festival in the future.
He said: “We hope to revive the event massively in 2015, but this means we will have to structure a full committee.
“We would love for companies, organisations and individuals to support the event. We are very proud of Barrow and I want people to have a reason to love Barrow.
“Events like Foodie Fest bring the community together and it can be a platform to showcase who we are and what we can offer.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Google Street View car spotted in Barrow (12 comments)
- Date revealed for opening of new Barrow store (5 comments)
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital begins anti-bullying scheme (4 comments)
- Controversial new Barrow homes application submitted to council (42 comments)
- Businesses backing calls to improve Cumbria rail services (4 comments)
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
Homes and gardens
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|