Barrow firefighter mans pumps in more ways than one
Last updated at 16:05, Friday, 01 June 2012
A FIREMAN will fulfil a burning desire today when he opens his fire service themed pub.
Barrow firefighter, Dave Brodie, has transformed the former Crystal Palace pub by refurbishing the building, painting the outside red, and aptly naming his new venture The Fire Engine.
The Blue Watch fireman will continue to serve with the life-saving emergency service, but the licensee will also run the Barrow town centre pub with his wife, Claire.
The Dalkeith Street boozer features a display of firefighters’ helmets behind the bar, the last orders bell is from an old Barrow fire station turntable ladder, and there is also a golden firefighters’ pole. Other memorabilia will include photographs of Barrow fire service over the years.
Mr Brodie, who has been a firefighter for 11 years, has been helped to clean up and refurbish The Fire Engine by his wife and Blue Watch colleagues from Barrow fire station.
The 34-year-old said: “I’ve always wanted to do this one day. I wanted to take on this pub because I’ve always wanted to work on an old building and bring it back into use.
“I’d walk past this building and think, ‘What a shame’.
“It has been a big clean up operation. My colleagues think I’m mad doing this, but in a nice way, and they have all helped me.”
The dad-of-three, who is used to going up and down ladders, was in charge of painting the pub red.
He said: “It will be a boozer, but it will be a clean pub.
“We want to get to know our customers.
“It’s going to be full of firefighters when they’re off.”
Mrs Brodie, 32, added that she is very excited about the new challenge.
Barrow firefighter Mike Bradshaw, 36, who has been helping with the refurbishment, said: “Dave is a top bloke, he would do anything for anybody so we were all happy to help him. He deserves the success.”
Mr Brodie said he is aware that there are some other pubs in the UK with a fire service theme, but he maybe the only serving firefighter running one.
The pub was opening for business from noon today.
First published at 13:43, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
well done dave and claire you will make this venture a big success the pub looks great
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (3 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Net gain for Furness tennis players: with picture gallery
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid