Barrow firefighter mans pumps in more ways than one
Last updated at 16:05, Friday, 01 June 2012
A FIREMAN will fulfil a burning desire today when he opens his fire service themed pub.
Barrow firefighter, Dave Brodie, has transformed the former Crystal Palace pub by refurbishing the building, painting the outside red, and aptly naming his new venture The Fire Engine.
The Blue Watch fireman will continue to serve with the life-saving emergency service, but the licensee will also run the Barrow town centre pub with his wife, Claire.
The Dalkeith Street boozer features a display of firefighters’ helmets behind the bar, the last orders bell is from an old Barrow fire station turntable ladder, and there is also a golden firefighters’ pole. Other memorabilia will include photographs of Barrow fire service over the years.
Mr Brodie, who has been a firefighter for 11 years, has been helped to clean up and refurbish The Fire Engine by his wife and Blue Watch colleagues from Barrow fire station.
The 34-year-old said: “I’ve always wanted to do this one day. I wanted to take on this pub because I’ve always wanted to work on an old building and bring it back into use.
“I’d walk past this building and think, ‘What a shame’.
“It has been a big clean up operation. My colleagues think I’m mad doing this, but in a nice way, and they have all helped me.”
The dad-of-three, who is used to going up and down ladders, was in charge of painting the pub red.
He said: “It will be a boozer, but it will be a clean pub.
“We want to get to know our customers.
“It’s going to be full of firefighters when they’re off.”
Mrs Brodie, 32, added that she is very excited about the new challenge.
Barrow firefighter Mike Bradshaw, 36, who has been helping with the refurbishment, said: “Dave is a top bloke, he would do anything for anybody so we were all happy to help him. He deserves the success.”
Mr Brodie said he is aware that there are some other pubs in the UK with a fire service theme, but he maybe the only serving firefighter running one.
The pub was opening for business from noon today.
First published at 13:43, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
well done dave and claire you will make this venture a big success the pub looks great
Make your comment
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together