Barrow firefighter mans pumps in more ways than one
Last updated at 16:05, Friday, 01 June 2012
A FIREMAN will fulfil a burning desire today when he opens his fire service themed pub.
Barrow firefighter, Dave Brodie, has transformed the former Crystal Palace pub by refurbishing the building, painting the outside red, and aptly naming his new venture The Fire Engine.
The Blue Watch fireman will continue to serve with the life-saving emergency service, but the licensee will also run the Barrow town centre pub with his wife, Claire.
The Dalkeith Street boozer features a display of firefighters’ helmets behind the bar, the last orders bell is from an old Barrow fire station turntable ladder, and there is also a golden firefighters’ pole. Other memorabilia will include photographs of Barrow fire service over the years.
Mr Brodie, who has been a firefighter for 11 years, has been helped to clean up and refurbish The Fire Engine by his wife and Blue Watch colleagues from Barrow fire station.
The 34-year-old said: “I’ve always wanted to do this one day. I wanted to take on this pub because I’ve always wanted to work on an old building and bring it back into use.
“I’d walk past this building and think, ‘What a shame’.
“It has been a big clean up operation. My colleagues think I’m mad doing this, but in a nice way, and they have all helped me.”
The dad-of-three, who is used to going up and down ladders, was in charge of painting the pub red.
He said: “It will be a boozer, but it will be a clean pub.
“We want to get to know our customers.
“It’s going to be full of firefighters when they’re off.”
Mrs Brodie, 32, added that she is very excited about the new challenge.
Barrow firefighter Mike Bradshaw, 36, who has been helping with the refurbishment, said: “Dave is a top bloke, he would do anything for anybody so we were all happy to help him. He deserves the success.”
Mr Brodie said he is aware that there are some other pubs in the UK with a fire service theme, but he maybe the only serving firefighter running one.
The pub was opening for business from noon today.
First published at 13:43, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
well done dave and claire you will make this venture a big success the pub looks great
Make your comment
- All action from the Evening Mail’s poll vaults
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- Barrow Sea Cadets launch litter mission
- Barrow mum will tackle 40-mile walk to remember her one-year-old (2 comments)
- Child vandals hurl object at Barrow bus
- Millom boy's rare illness progress
- Legal high clampdown at Cumbria festival (2 comments)
- Barrow Sister Act performers show why they’re second to nun
- Evening Mail readers highlight their most important policy areas in online poll
- Ulverston man given jail sentence after smash-and-grab raid on shop
- Barrow Raiders boss pays tribute to Danny Jones
- Haworth wants Barrow AFC deal
- Hero Declan does the trick for Cents
- Rhiann earns GB call-up as Duddon paddlers shine
- Barrow social club pockets snooker tables from mystery man
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)