Barrow firefighter mans pumps in more ways than one
Last updated at 16:05, Friday, 01 June 2012
A FIREMAN will fulfil a burning desire today when he opens his fire service themed pub.
Barrow firefighter, Dave Brodie, has transformed the former Crystal Palace pub by refurbishing the building, painting the outside red, and aptly naming his new venture The Fire Engine.
The Blue Watch fireman will continue to serve with the life-saving emergency service, but the licensee will also run the Barrow town centre pub with his wife, Claire.
The Dalkeith Street boozer features a display of firefighters’ helmets behind the bar, the last orders bell is from an old Barrow fire station turntable ladder, and there is also a golden firefighters’ pole. Other memorabilia will include photographs of Barrow fire service over the years.
Mr Brodie, who has been a firefighter for 11 years, has been helped to clean up and refurbish The Fire Engine by his wife and Blue Watch colleagues from Barrow fire station.
The 34-year-old said: “I’ve always wanted to do this one day. I wanted to take on this pub because I’ve always wanted to work on an old building and bring it back into use.
“I’d walk past this building and think, ‘What a shame’.
“It has been a big clean up operation. My colleagues think I’m mad doing this, but in a nice way, and they have all helped me.”
The dad-of-three, who is used to going up and down ladders, was in charge of painting the pub red.
He said: “It will be a boozer, but it will be a clean pub.
“We want to get to know our customers.
“It’s going to be full of firefighters when they’re off.”
Mrs Brodie, 32, added that she is very excited about the new challenge.
Barrow firefighter Mike Bradshaw, 36, who has been helping with the refurbishment, said: “Dave is a top bloke, he would do anything for anybody so we were all happy to help him. He deserves the success.”
Mr Brodie said he is aware that there are some other pubs in the UK with a fire service theme, but he maybe the only serving firefighter running one.
The pub was opening for business from noon today.
First published at 13:43, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
well done dave and claire you will make this venture a big success the pub looks great
Make your comment
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (22 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success (8 comments)
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton