Barrow father and sons all launched attack on victim
Last updated at 16:44, Tuesday, 12 August 2014
A BARROW dad and two of his sons have been found guilty of a violent three-on-one daylight attack.
David Jefferson Snr, 43, of Vulcan Road, Barrow; Wayne Jefferson, 22, of Vulcan Road; and David Jefferson Jnr, 23, of Carlisle Street, Barrow; stood trial at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The trio had denied assaulting Dale Stephenson in the Duke Street area on the morning of January 20.
But a bench of three magistrates ruled they were guilty. They ordered a pre-sentence report to be prepared before the defendants learn their fate.
The court was shown a photograph of Mr Stephenson’s injuries at the time of the incident, which showed severe swelling and blackening around one eye.
Each of the Jeffersons denied any involvement whatsoever and insisted that Mr Stephenson had implicated them because he did not like them.
The court heard the defendants and the victim were related distantly through Mr Jefferson Snr’s brother’s wife.
They had not been on speaking terms since an altercation in 2012 in which the Jeffersons alleged that Mr Stephenson had assaulted their youngest brother, then aged 10. That had prompted David Jefferon Jnr to throw him over a wall – an offence for which he served a prison sentence.
Wayne Jefferson claimed he was not in the area at the time. His brother and father claimed they had seen Mr Stephenson on the other side of the road as they exited HSBC in Duke Street, but ignored him and walked into town.
All three gave “no comment answers” when interviewed by police. Mr Peter Kelly, prosecuting, said: “I’m suggesting all three of you were involved and you were responsible for these injuries as a group. We can’t say who threw the punches, but you were all acting together.”
All three were granted conditional bail on the basis that they do not contact Mr Stephenson.
First published at 13:01, Tuesday, 12 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (12 comments)
- Tourism guide with South Cumbria attractions released (1 comment)
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|