Barrow families call for action over complaints knocked back by health watchdog
Last updated at 12:56, Tuesday, 04 February 2014
BEREAVED families in Barrow have called for action over hundreds of complaints knocked back by a national health watchdog.
It comes as figures from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) reveal it “fully investigated” less than three per cent of those received in 2012/13.
The PHSO, which holds the highest level of responsibility for complaints against NHS bodies, fully investigated less than 400 of 16,000 last year, The Telegraph reported on Monday (3).
The figures have sparked anger among families affected by historical failings at Furness General Hospital, many of whom appealed to the health watchdog for help.
Dalton dad, James Titcombe, turned to the ombudsman in 2009 following the death of his son, Joshua, nine days after his birth at FGH in November 2008.
In February 2010, following almost a year of consideration, the watchdog wrote to Mr Titcombe confirming its decision not to investigate. The PHSO said it was “pleased to see” serious action had already been taken to ensure lessons were learned from Joshua’s death.
Describing how he “begged” the ombudsman to reconsider, Mr Titcombe said: “I knew something was seriously wrong with the maternity unit where Joshua was failed and I wanted to ensure other lives were not put at risk. My pleas were repeatedly ignored.”
In 2013, the ombudsman finally agreed to look into Joshua’s case, and its findings stand in stark contrast with the original decision not to investigate.
A draft report, sent to Mr Titcombe in November, is due to reveal “maladministration” in the way the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust investigated the events surrounding his son’s death.
Mr Titcombe said: “The ombudsman failed my family and they have failed others. It is now time that the PHSO clearly acknowledged this failure in an open and transparent way.
“Furthermore, I do not accept that such failures were isolated to Joshua's case alone. I know of many other families who, like us, have suffered from serious failures in the NHS and have found it impossible to obtain a proper investigation into what happened. Joshua’s case clearly demonstrates that decisions have been made in the past that do not stand up to scrutiny.
“There is now an urgent need for all serious cases previously turned down for investigation by the ombudsman to be independently reviewed.”
Responding to The Telegraph’s report, the PHSO confirmed it changed its criteria for investigating complaints last year, based on feedback from those who appeals had been rejected.
It said it is now completing more investigations than ever before, with 1046 carried out between April and December 2013 compared to 249 in the same period the previous year.
First published at 12:53, Tuesday, 04 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Ah well it's less than two weeks this time - Mr T saviour of the NHS single handedly. Once again being allowed to pour out his smug vomit. Oh what a joy, but no surprise there! You guys are just his puppets providing an open forum for a poisonous dangerous man. Well done NWEM!! You are just as sick as he is.
Make your comment
- Evening Mail readers offer to rehome abandoned Jack
- UPDATE: Barrow driver charged with attempted GBH by car remanded in custody
- Furness General midwife 'should never work again' - mother
- Cornered Barrow thief caused fracas
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Fan-tastic celebrations for Barrow AFC: with picture gallery
- Lakes riders shine in South Cumbria time trials: with picture gallery
- Runners make dash for Dalton 10k
- South Cumbrian darter aims for world's top 64
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton