Barrow Engineers Club falls victim to recession
Last updated at 18:04, Wednesday, 25 April 2012
ONE of Barrow’s biggest working men’s clubs has been forced to close due to financial difficulties.
Barrow Engineers Club shut its doors for the final time last night after an unforeseen bill spelled the end of the road for the Abbey Road venue.
The club is owned by its members, but increased running costs and dwindling customers led to the decision to close for good yesterday.
Club secretary Matt Blackburn said: “Unfortunately this is the end for the club.
“It was unforeseen because some bills arrived that none of us knew about, and we thought it was best to get out before we run up any more debt.
“The recession is the reason why it has come to this. We are one of the biggest clubs in town with around 500 members, but because the running costs are high and the fact that people are struggling financially themselves, we have been struggling to put bums on seats for a while.
“I don’t think we’ll be opening again – we are definitely closing for good.”
A last minute farewell concert took place last night, with local singer Denis Horan taking the mic for the last time.
He said: “I was only singing there on Sunday for St George’s Day and it was packed, and I was supposed to be there next week as well.
“It has the best stage in town and you play to 250-plus people. If you go back 30 or 40 years, people used to queue up Abbey Road to get in.
“It’s a shame that places like this are closing down, but times are changing and society’s changing.
“The clubs need to move with the times and the Engineers did. I don’t know what more could have been done, and it’s such a shame that the bills just became too much.
“It’s sad that it has come to this and Barrow’s a poorer place for it.”
Anyone who has outstanding bookings for Dance Masters UK events at the venue is advised to contact the company directly on 01229 343621.
First published at 13:55, Wednesday, 25 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The club is open again as normal from this evening I have been informed
Make your comment
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Cash machine blown up in Cumbria raid
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood (2 comments)
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (10 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success (3 comments)
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (10 comments)
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton