Barrow driver in death film attempt avoids jail
Last updated at 16:05, Tuesday, 15 April 2014
A FORMER soldier from Barrow who filmed himself driving down a bypass at 120mph because he wanted to kill himself has avoided jail.
Daniel Quayle, of Beech Street, Barrow, was banned from driving for 12 months and given a four month jail term, suspended for 12 months, by a judge in Preston Crown Court on Friday.
Quayle, 26, was also fined £100 for the offence.
Quayle had intended to kill himself and capture the moment on film as he drove along Park Road in Barrow on February 17 this year.
He used a mobile phone to film his speedometer as it reached 120mph, but said he “bottled it” and abandoned his mad dash because he did not want to endanger anybody else.
However, Quayle lost control of his car in Park Road while approaching a roundabout.
Quayle, who has previously served in the army, had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of drink-driving and dangerous driving.
The court was told that Quayle had been suffering from post-traumatic stress, following his time in the army.
After downing 3/4 of a bottle of vodka and five bottles of Budweiser he got in his car.
When breathalyzed after the crash he was found to be almost twice the drink drive limit with 64mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath.
Miss Victoria Agullo, prosecuting, told Furness Magistrates’ Court during his initial appearance: “The defendant explained he was travelling at 120mph to kill himself.
“He stated it was the most stupid thing he has ever done.
“Quayle said he had very dark thoughts and wanted to kill himself.
“He said his only intention was not to harm anyone else.
“He states the whole incident was like a black hole but says he definitely did it.”
First published at 14:24, Tuesday, 15 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|