Barrow driver banned for refusing to give breath test
Published at 10:43, Monday, 05 May 2014
A 20-YEAR-OLD man has been banned from the roads for failing to provide a breath test after he was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
Matthew France appeared before Furness Magistrates’ Court on Thursday and the court heard how police spotted the BAE Systems designer returning to his car in Carlisle Street, Barrow at about 2.30am on April 17.
Mr Peter Kelly, prosecuting, said police pulled France over after the car appeared to veer to the left several times.
He said: “They tried to get a breath test but after two attempts a sample was provided and was positive. France was taken to the police station where he started being difficult and demanding to go to the toilet before providing a sample.
“He is of previous good character and has just finished his apprenticeship as a BAE designer.”
France pleaded guilty to failure to providing a specimen for analysis.
Mr Graham Jackson, defending, said: “It proved to be a lighter evening than he had anticipated and after a number of hours of not drinking he decided to drive home.
“When he was stopped he was very surprised at the suggestion that he had been driving in any other way than in the proper manner.
“When he got to the station he effectively refused to do a breath test as he was panicking.”
France, of Middleton Avenue, Barrow, was fined £300, £85 court costs and a £30 victim surcharge. He was also banned from driving for 18 months.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Askam dad 37 killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|