Barrow driver banned for refusing to give breath test
Published at 10:43, Monday, 05 May 2014
A 20-YEAR-OLD man has been banned from the roads for failing to provide a breath test after he was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
Matthew France appeared before Furness Magistrates’ Court on Thursday and the court heard how police spotted the BAE Systems designer returning to his car in Carlisle Street, Barrow at about 2.30am on April 17.
Mr Peter Kelly, prosecuting, said police pulled France over after the car appeared to veer to the left several times.
He said: “They tried to get a breath test but after two attempts a sample was provided and was positive. France was taken to the police station where he started being difficult and demanding to go to the toilet before providing a sample.
“He is of previous good character and has just finished his apprenticeship as a BAE designer.”
France pleaded guilty to failure to providing a specimen for analysis.
Mr Graham Jackson, defending, said: “It proved to be a lighter evening than he had anticipated and after a number of hours of not drinking he decided to drive home.
“When he was stopped he was very surprised at the suggestion that he had been driving in any other way than in the proper manner.
“When he got to the station he effectively refused to do a breath test as he was panicking.”
France, of Middleton Avenue, Barrow, was fined £300, £85 court costs and a £30 victim surcharge. He was also banned from driving for 18 months.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|