Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 05 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow drink-driver tried to lock himself in car

A 37-YEAR-OLD suspected of drinking-driving locked himself in his car to avoid talking to police.

Stuart Steven Wilkie then became aggressive after he was arrested and officers had to pull out their Tasers and use Pava spray.

Furness Magistrates’ Court heard how while at the police station the defendant did everything he could to avoid being breath tested, muttering “tick tock” as time passed.

Mr Lee Dacre, prosecuting, told how Wilkie was initially spotted by officers as he sped across a junction on Cornwallis Street near Club M at 3.35am on June 8. They followed the black Vauxhall and approached it when it parked up.

He added: “They tried to engage him in conversation but he refused to open the car door. This went on for some time and it was only when they said they would have to smash the window he agreed to open up.

“He refused to take a breath test several times and was put in a holding cell. He became aggressive and officers had to use Pava spray and Tasers were drawn.

“He continued to be obstructive, shouting he wanted water and they managed to get one breath test. He again became aggressive. It took 50 minutes to get one sample when it should have taken 10.

“He was also muttering ‘tick tock, tick tock’ like he knew exactly what he was doing by delaying.”

Wilkie, of St Vincent Street, Barrow, admitted failing to supply a specimen of breath for analysis.

Maureen Fawcett, defending, said her client had said everything was going OK and he was happy to co-operate with the police. She added: “It was when he was put in the van and he felt he was manhandled by the police. He was asking for water because his mouth was dry from the Pava spray.

“He does recognise in alcohol he makes stupid decisions and he is trying to control it.”

Wilkie was given a six-week curfew and banned from the streets between 7pm and 7am. He was also ordered to pay court costs of £85 and a £60 victim surcharge. He was banned from driving for two years.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Are you enjoying the hot weather?



Show Result


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out