Barrow dog walk to help out hospice
Last updated at 15:09, Wednesday, 16 April 2014
DOZENS of dog owners had a paws for thought to help raise hundreds for a charity close to the heart of the Furness community.
To the delight of the owners, the event was followed by a dog show.
Rosettes and dog biscuits were handed out to winners of categories including scruffiest dog, waggiest tail and best pedigree.
The event was organised by Barrow Dog Agility Club and included dog demonstations.
Sean Hunter, a member of the dog club, said: “The day started off with the dog walk and we had more than 80 people, so that was a good start to the day.
“Everyone who took part got a goody bag and we put on a dog agility show to show just what a dog can do and how you could train your dog.”
Mr Hunter, a regular fund-raiser for St Mary’s Hospice, said he believed the event had been well supported to the number of people whose lives have been touched by the work of the hospice.
He added: “Whatever we can do for the hospice we’ll try to help, it was a good day all round and hopefully next year we’ll have even more to offer.”
It costs around £6,000 per day to keep the hospice running and organisers announced the event made a substantial contribution towards the costs by raising £2,390.
First published at 16:03, Tuesday, 15 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (32 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- ‘Deadly’ pigeon droppings force Millom council closure (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’ (2 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|