Barrow Doctor banned from practising medicine by health watchdog
Last updated at 16:00, Friday, 21 March 2014
A SENIOR children’s doctor under investigation by hospital bosses has been barred from practising medicine.
Dr Saeed Ghanim, a consultant paediatrician at Furness General Hospital, was given a 15-month suspension following an interim orders panel hearing by the General Medical Council in January.
Bosses at the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, which runs FGH, have said Dr Ghanim is working on “non-clinical” duties and an internal investigation into his clinical practices – which began in 2012 following an inquest into the death of Amelia Jade Bower – is ongoing.
When asked by the Evening Mail reasons for his suspension, UHMBT said it could not discuss the case in detail due to GMC procedure of not releasing the details of interim orders hearings. Under the ban Dr Ghanim is barred from medical practice.
George Nasmyth, medical director at the trust, said: “The trust has been investigating concerns relating to the doctor cited by the General Medical Council and has restricted their practice to non-clinical duties, therefore having no contact with patients.
“While the GMC Interim Orders Panel has imposed its own restrictions which are subject to review, the trust is continuing with its own process in line with trust policy.”
A spokeswoman for the GMC’s Medical Practitioners and Tribunals Service said due to the nature of the interim orders hearing no details of the hearing would be released.
However, she added Dr Ghanim’s case could be set to go before a full hearing at a later date, with the most severe outcome being a possible permanent ban from the profession.
First published at 15:14, Friday, 21 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigate Millom assault
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together