Barrow Doctor banned from practising medicine by health watchdog
Last updated at 16:00, Friday, 21 March 2014
A SENIOR children’s doctor under investigation by hospital bosses has been barred from practising medicine.
Dr Saeed Ghanim, a consultant paediatrician at Furness General Hospital, was given a 15-month suspension following an interim orders panel hearing by the General Medical Council in January.
Bosses at the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, which runs FGH, have said Dr Ghanim is working on “non-clinical” duties and an internal investigation into his clinical practices – which began in 2012 following an inquest into the death of Amelia Jade Bower – is ongoing.
When asked by the Evening Mail reasons for his suspension, UHMBT said it could not discuss the case in detail due to GMC procedure of not releasing the details of interim orders hearings. Under the ban Dr Ghanim is barred from medical practice.
George Nasmyth, medical director at the trust, said: “The trust has been investigating concerns relating to the doctor cited by the General Medical Council and has restricted their practice to non-clinical duties, therefore having no contact with patients.
“While the GMC Interim Orders Panel has imposed its own restrictions which are subject to review, the trust is continuing with its own process in line with trust policy.”
A spokeswoman for the GMC’s Medical Practitioners and Tribunals Service said due to the nature of the interim orders hearing no details of the hearing would be released.
However, she added Dr Ghanim’s case could be set to go before a full hearing at a later date, with the most severe outcome being a possible permanent ban from the profession.
First published at 15:14, Friday, 21 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- UPDATE: Woman airlifted to hospital and road closed after Barrow crash
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|