Barrow designer’s mayoral robes set to create new legacy
Last updated at 16:17, Thursday, 08 November 2012
A FASHION designer’s latest creation is set to enter the history books.
Lily Myers, the wife of Hairy Biker Dave Myers, has designed and created the first new mayoral robes in Barrow for more than 100 years.
The new robes, produced using a £500 donation from Furness Round Table, were ordered by the Mayor of Barrow, Councillor Wendy Maddox.
The funds paid for the material but Mrs Myers, who works as a designer and dressmaker, donated her time as a gesture of goodwill.
She said: “They are the first robes I’ve made. I loved having a free hand to create something I’ve never done before.
“I really loved it, it was an honour – a really big honour to do that.
“We’ve done a good job.”
Cllr Maddox said the original mayoral robes have been lovingly restored over the years but she believes lighter robes will make mayoral duties easier.
Mrs Myers added: “I was really, really happy to do something people will wear for years.
“I will be happy if it will be in use in 25 or 50 years.”
The original robes were a gift to Barrow along with the mayoral chains from James Ramsden, who was the town’s first mayor.
And the robes have been worn by all 106 mayors of Barrow from James Ramsden up to the current mayor, Cllr Maddox. Cllr Maddox got in touch with Mrs Myers to ask if she could create a lighter robe.
She said: “The robes we’ve got are more than 100 years old and they are very heavy.
“I wanted a lighter robe, I asked Phil Huck (Barrow Borough Council’s executive director) but he said in this economic climate he didn’t think it was appropriate.
“I wrote to the round table who kindly offered £500. It was a wonderful gesture and very generous.
“They are not mine, they are for future mayors. This is my legacy.”
The new robes are due to make their civic debut on Sunday at Barrow’s Armistice Day remembrance service.
First published at 16:10, Thursday, 08 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|