Barrow death crash biker threw table in FGH
Last updated at 16:47, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A MAN facing jail for killing a pensioner while riding his motorbike high on drugs threw a table across a hospital waiting room after saying: “I am going to prison anyway, so I don’t care if I smash the place up.”
Michael Victor Moore appeared in Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday charged with using threatening words or behaviour and causing criminal damage.
Mr Trystan Roberts, defending, said: “He was arrested at about 5.30pm after being taken to the hospital in the early hours of yesterday (Monday) morning.
“He had made a telephone call wanting to speak to the crisis team.”
Moore was due to be sentenced at Preston Crown Court today after being found guilty of causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drugs in October.
Moore was on diazepam when he hit Marjorie Higgins, 64, in Bridgegate Avenue, in Barrow, in November 2010. He was also found guilty of failing to provide a blood specimen for analysis.
Moore had been warned by a judge it was highly likely he would be sent to jail.
While awaiting his trial in Preston, Moore had been on bail for two years and had done well coping with the pressure that brought, Mr Roberts told the court on Tuesday.
However, he added: “He has let that anxiety get to him whilst sat for five hours in the public area of the hospital.”
Moore decided he wanted to leave the hospital and another member of the public had offered him a lift, but then withdrew the offer, said Mr Roberts.
Mr John Appleby, prosecuting, said Moore became increasingly agitated and demanded to be taken home by staff before saying: “I am going to prison anyway, so I don’t care if I smash the place up.”
Moore then picked up a coffee table and threw it across the room.
The 47-year-old, of Buxton Street, Barrow, pleaded guilty to both charges and was given a six-month conditional discharge.
Magistrates ordered him to pay £50 compensation to University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust, £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
First published at 16:06, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|