X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow dad-of-two hurt in tip accident faces third op in bid to save leg

A BARROW dad-of-two is facing a third operation to try to save his leg after a horrific accident at a tip.

Glyn Griffiths was hit by a car driven by an 86-year-old man while at Cumbria Waste Management in Barrow.

The Health and Safety Executive says it is looking into the circumstances surrounding the accident last week involving the 48-year-old Kimberly-Clark worker.

Mr Griffiths, of Hawcoat Lane, Barrow, was helped by another tip user before being rushed to Furness General Hospital for emergency surgery to save his leg.

The Manchester City fan says he has had two operations and is awaiting a third in Liverpool to see if his leg can be saved.

A family spokeswoman, who asked not to be named, said Mr Griffiths was “quite poorly” and facing an anxious wait.

She said he really wanted to thank the man who came to his aid after the accident and helped stem the blood until emergency services arrived.

She added: “He was taken to Furness General Hospital where he had the first operation to try and save his leg. He was at the tip and was standing at the back of his vehicle when he heard a car engine revving behind him and then he was hit. It was a really nasty break. He’s not very well and has already had two operations.

“He has had his family and friends visiting him and his employers have been really good.”

A police spokesman said they were not investigating the incident but did attend at 11.44am last Saturday.

The HSE said it had been made aware of the incident and was making inquiries.

Cumbria County Council, which runs the site in Walney Road, Barrow, said: “The county council is extremely sorry to hear of the unfortunate accident involving a member of the public at our Barrow household waste facility.

“Emergency services were called immediately following the incident and first aid was administered to the injured party by the attendant traffic marshal. The site was closed to the public and cleared of all other traffic while the individual was attended to.

“All the HWRC site operatives acted swiftly and in a professional manner, and are to be commended for their approach in managing the incident.

“We wish the gentleman injured in the incident a speedy recovery.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Would you back train fare increases if you knew the money would be used to improve the rail network?

Yes

No

Show Result


Go green 33

Going digital

Homes and gardens

Ulverston Carnival


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out