Barrow dad – from peacemaker to offender
Last updated at 14:42, Tuesday, 27 March 2012
A FATHER-OF-TWO is set to lose his job at a fast food restaurant for his part in an assault, a court heard.
Jason Guy, 27, went from peacemaker to offender in a booze-fuelled attack in Barrow town centre on November 26 last year.
Guy was out with two other men when they targeted Kyle Peers and his friends as they travelled from the King’s Arms pub to Yates’ wine bar in the area of Portland Walk.
A verbal exchange, in which Mr Peers and his friends attempted to walk away, soon descended into violence.
The court heard Guy, who has two children aged five and two and is expecting a third, had initially acted as peacemaker between the parties but then threw a punch at Mr Peers.
Mr Nigel Beetham, prosecuting at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday, said: “The complainant and his friends came across the defendant and his group. There had been some ongoing problem between them. There was an exchange and unfortunately it culminated in several people thumping several other people.
“The defendant punched the complainant to the area of his eye.”
It was originally suspected Mr Peers suffered a fracture as a result of the blow, but it proved to be a soft tissue injury, which resulted in a black eye.
The two other men who carried out the attack on Mr Peers have been convicted of common assault at previous hearings.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, said: “Mr Guy has little recollection of the incident itself because he was in drink. There was a stand-off between the two groups and Mr Peers’ group were very much the innocent party, not really wanting to get engaged.
“Mr Guy was described as the peacemaker at first and then, inexplicably, he threw a punch at Mr Peers which connected with the face.
“He is remorseful. He will lose his job at a fast food outlet as a result of this conviction. They have told him he cannot work there with that. As a result he will be claiming Jobseekers' Allowance.”
Guy, of Keith Street, Barrow, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He had originally pleaded not guilty to the offence.
He was fined £65 for the offence and ordered to pay £75 compensation to his victim, as well as a £15 victim surcharge and £150 court costs.
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 27 March 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together