Barrow dad accused his daughter of theft
Last updated at 18:04, Wednesday, 25 April 2012
A YOUNG woman ended up in court when her dad accused her of stealing his money to top up her mobile phone.
But Chloe Louise Morgan, of Elm Mews in Barrow, was acquitted of seven counts of fraud by false representation when she appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The 21-year-old was cleared of all the charges, to which she pleaded not guilty, after evidence given by her father John Morgan was heard.
Mr Morgan had alleged his daughter had committed seven counts of fraud against him between June 10 and 29 last year, each amounting to £10, which was used for topping up her mobile phone.
Prosecuting, Mr Peter Kelly said the complainant believed that his daughter did not have permission to take this money and had done so without him knowing.
However, before the witness was called Mr Kelly did admit doubts had been raised about the credibility of his claims.
He said: “I received an email on the afternoon of Friday (from Social Services) that said as of June 2011 Mr Morgan was assessed to have a history of alcohol problems, mental health issues and memory loss.”
Mr Morgan told Mr Kelly that he hadn’t shared his bank details with his daughter.
He said: “I didn’t give her any details of the Lloyds account, and I didn’t give her permission.”
Defending, Mr Mike Graham questioned Mr Morgan’s memory and asked him if he remembered his daughter withdrawing money from the account to give to him.
Mr Morgan replied: “She used to just come round, I didn’t ask her to come round.
“I used to give her £10 to mop the floor.
“But I contacted my bank when I found out the money went missing from it.”
Mr Graham said the reason the money had been taken was at Mr Morgan’s request, as he felt his daughter should have credit on her phone to make sure he was safe.
Mr Morgan denied this but said he had given his bank details to his daughter, conflicting with what he had said earlier.
When he had finished giving evidence, the magistrates concluded that no offence had been committed.
First published at 13:44, Wednesday, 25 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business today
- Barrow woman attacked man with ashtray
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow Raiders defeated at Swinton Lions
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|