X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 25 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow curry house host speaks of ill mum plight

A BARROW restaurant host who narrowly avoided jail after breaching a prohibition order has told how family tragedy had distracted him at the time of the offence.

Ferdous Ahmed, 37, front-of-house man at Mithali restaurant in Dalton Road, appeared at Preston Crown Court last week. He was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay a further £2,000 in costs.

In July last year council inspectors found a staff member sleeping on the second floor, a violation of the prohibition notice.

At that time, Mr Ahmed was already on a suspended sentence for similar fire safety offences.

Mr Ahmed, of Barrow, pleaded guilty, on the basis that for three days he had been running the business because his father, the owner, was incapacitated.

He said: “At the time I was very troubled, and spending a lot of time with my mother and father.

“My mother was suffering with dementia, and has since had to be moved into a care home.

“What happened at the restaurant is extremely unfortunate, but I’m just a very loving person, and I will always prioritise my family.”

When Barrow Borough Council inspected the premises they had found six members of staff sleeping on the first floor – which had no prohibition in place – and one asleep on the second floor.

Both the judge, and the council, said that there had been significant improvements in terms of safety since the first offence.

Mr Ahmed continued: “I did not mean to do anything wrong. I tried my best.

“But I became a failure for caring too much about my mother, with her illness, and my father.

“My mother has been here since the start. She brought us into this business. To see her ill made me lose focus, and I lacked in consideration for the restaurant.”

Mr Ahmed, says that he did not give permission for any staff to sleep on the second floor.

He has since passed control of Mithali over to his brother.

“I just want to get back to what I do best and I hope we can all forget this and look to the future.”

Have your say

So why does this reason make this chap any different from the rest us? If you do wrong you get punished, for the second time he has put lives at risk in his property by Ignoring Health & Safety, but says He "Cares about his family" at what price to others safety?

Posted by A Reader on 21 January 2014 at 00:34

If 7 members of staff were found to be sleeping in the floors above the restaurant it is hardly a mistake. The welfare of staff should be paramount, what if there had been a fire? No one would have known there were there, that is why there are health and safety regulations.

Posted by Maggie on 20 January 2014 at 19:20

View all 6 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Is putting the clocks back and forward for daylight saving still relevant?

Yes

No

Show Result


Go green 36

The Barber's Shop

Choosing a primary school

Kendall Brothers Ltd

Reuse

Going digital


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out