Barrow community groups get boost
Last updated at 16:58, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
COMMUNITY groups have scored almost £300,000 in lottery money.
The substantial grant will fund a project called “Inspiring Barrow”, which aims to encourage people to live healthy, happy and productive lives.
The three-year programme will attempt to raise people’s aspirations through personal development courses, training opportunities and promoting healthy lifestyles. Cumbria CVS, Central and Hindpool Neighbourhood Management Team, Cumbria County Council’s children’s services, Inspira, Lancaster University, NHS Cumbria Public Health Improvement Team and the Primary Schools Collaborative will all be involved in driving the initiative.
Inspiring Barrow was borne out of a year-long pilot project held in 2010-11, which has achieved many successes and attracted government interest.
Robin Battersby, the Cumbria CVS business development officer for Barrow and South Lakeland, said the new funding meant the scheme could continue to build on those gains.
“It is a fantastic shot in the arm for the town, especially when financial cutbacks and reductions in services are really starting to bite,” he said.
First published at 16:26, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|