Barrow community groups get boost
Last updated at 16:58, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
COMMUNITY groups have scored almost £300,000 in lottery money.
The substantial grant will fund a project called “Inspiring Barrow”, which aims to encourage people to live healthy, happy and productive lives.
The three-year programme will attempt to raise people’s aspirations through personal development courses, training opportunities and promoting healthy lifestyles. Cumbria CVS, Central and Hindpool Neighbourhood Management Team, Cumbria County Council’s children’s services, Inspira, Lancaster University, NHS Cumbria Public Health Improvement Team and the Primary Schools Collaborative will all be involved in driving the initiative.
Inspiring Barrow was borne out of a year-long pilot project held in 2010-11, which has achieved many successes and attracted government interest.
Robin Battersby, the Cumbria CVS business development officer for Barrow and South Lakeland, said the new funding meant the scheme could continue to build on those gains.
“It is a fantastic shot in the arm for the town, especially when financial cutbacks and reductions in services are really starting to bite,” he said.
First published at 16:26, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|