Barrow Community celebrates with seasonal songs
Last updated at 16:31, Thursday, 20 December 2012
SINGERS young and old joined together as a packed out church enjoyed a Christmas concert.
The Evening Mail Carol Service was held at St James’ CE Church in Barrow on Tuesday.
Hundreds of people turned for the annual event, which takes place at the Blake Street Church and is in its 14th year, to help bring some festive spirit to the town.
The service began with a procession which stepped up to the altar whilst the choir, led by musical director Mark Latimer and accompanied by organist Colin Dean, sang Once in Royal David’s City.
The service also heard some melodic sounds from the pupils of St James’ School, who sang an array of cheery carols including The Snowman.
The Reverend Matthew Peat led the service and read several pieces from the bible, including the story of the floods, which was accompanied by a re-enactment.
The combined church and school choirs sang together during Do you Hear What I Hear?.
After some final prayers, the service came to a close with O Come All Ye Faithful, with many staying behind for mince pies.
The carol service cake raffle raised £75.50 which will go towards the bell restoration project at St James’ Church in Barrow.
First published at 16:23, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|