Barrow classic car restorer in running for national award
Last updated at 09:44, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
A BARROW classic car enthusiast has been shortlisted for a prestigious motoring award after restoring a 1975 Reliant Scimitar GTE over four years.
Neill Dutton, 51, is one of ten finalists in the running for the coveted national title of Restorer of the Year.
The winner of the award will be announced at the Practical Classics Restoration Show at the NEC in Birmingham on Sunday April 13 in front of thousands of classic car fans.
The ten finalists’ cars will be on display at the show where visitors can vote for their overall winner.
The restorer that receives the most votes will be crowned winner and receive a prize of Sealey Tools worth £2,200.
Mr Dutton’s success so far in the competition has taken him by surprise as he initially did not intend to buy a car that needed a full restoration or a Scimitar at all.
He said: “My friend Terry has a kit car and it’s great fun so I decided I wanted one too.
“I was after an AC Cobra replica but after reading the ever changing rules that surround self built vehicles I became disillusioned.”
After reading that the Reliant Scimitar was a good project car, Mr Dutton headed to Kettering and £700 later the 1975 GTE was his.
Once Mr Dutton had the car at home he soon realised the repair job was about to turn into a “full-blown restoration”.
The project took four years to complete and in July 2012 the Scimitar was finished and on show at a Classic Car event in Curborough where it won Best Restoration and Best in Show.
Mr Dutton added: “It was a complete and absolute honour, especially as I hadn’t intended to restore a Scimitar originally.”
Neill’s Reliant Scimitar will be on exhibition throughout the Practical Classics Restoration Show at the NEC frrom Saturday April 12 to Sunday April 13.
For more information about the show, visit www.necrestorationshow.com or call 0844 858 6758.
First published at 09:39, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|