Barrow children thrilled by stargazing activities
Last updated at 16:54, Monday, 10 December 2012
STELLAR school children learnt about the constellations and the night sky at a new monthly wildlife session.
Ormsgill Nursery and Primary School teamed up with Cumbria Wildlife Trust for a new Barrow Wildside Project Watch Club. The 20 children in the wildlife club at the school, led by Cumbria Wildlife Trust, were thrilled with the activity-filled after-school group.
Dawn Hubble, a special needs teacher at the school, said the children, from Years Three to Six, were given a choice of activities to get involved in. She said: “The activities were based on stargazing and different constellation activities.”
At the night sky learning class the children made their own aliens and planisphere star charts. The kids were then taken outdoors to learn about orientation and how to use a compass to navigate north and south.
Craig Matteson, from Cumbria Wildlife Trust, said the aim of the wildlife session was to “engage young people’s interest in the environment”.
Mrs Hubble added: “The children really enjoyed it. It was a good mix of learning with lots of crafts.”
First published at 16:37, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|