Barrow charity thanks landlord for help in time of crisis
Last updated at 16:47, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
HE simply stepped in to help a struggling charity when they found themselves out on the street.
But when Furness businessman, Bob Heron, agreed to let a building to Self Harm Awareness for the Furness Area, he had no idea how big a part of his life the cause would become.
Having watched the work of the team at his property in 114 Duke Street, Barrow, Mr Heron was so inspired that he signed up to the charity’s board of directors.
SAFA arranged to rent the Duke Street base last year, after the team was forced to move out of Waterside House in Barrow.
Barrow Borough Council served all 19 tenants with an eviction notice in March, giving the small groups and businesses until June 1 to move out, after leasing the building to BAE Systems.
Mr Heron, the managing director of two Barrow firms, Subconsult and Hydrotest UK, said he was only too pleased to help SAFA.
“I’d moved out of my Duke Street premises and it was empty so when I heard about SAFA looking for somewhere new, I was only too pleased to help and try and make a difference,” Mr Heron said.
“They do a fantastic job and I’m a firm believer in trying to give something back to the community.”
SAFA chief executive Cindy Daltioni said, the team could not be happier with their new home or more grateful for Mr Heron’s contribution.
She said: “He has been 150 per cent supportive of the charity and its work.
“He was so moved by it and, the more he’s got to know it, the more he’s wanted to be part of it.”
As a thank you, SAFA has named its base Heron House.
Mrs Daltioni said: “Mainly it’s about recognising his efforts. He’s really got on board, and he’s done things that most landlords wouldn’t even think about.”
On Monday, SAFA proudly unveiled its newly-revamped building to the public.
Having started in Barrow in 2006 and gradually extending through the South Lakes, SAFA is now preparing to expand its service county-wide from March.
Talking about the success of her staff, volunteers and directors, Mrs Daltioni said: “Just to be able to show what we’ve achieved, how far we’ve come, it means lots to be able to share that with other people.
“I feel really blessed.”
First published at 16:30, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|