Barrow car cleaner who stole £4,000 avoids prison
Published at 14:10, Tuesday, 28 January 2014
A BARROW man who stole more than £4,000 in cash from a woman on the “spur of the moment” has avoided jail.
Razvan Voda, 21, of Clifford Street, stole money belonging to the woman just hours after meeting her on a night out.
Furness Magistrates’ Court found that Voda breached her trust when she invited him into her home in the early hours of October 20.
The car cleaner, originally from Romania, grabbed a shoebox containing £4,000 in cash and an envelope containing around £300 from the woman’s living room, and left by getting a taxi.
The victim has been keeping the money to buy furniture.
Voda was sentenced to prison for 12 weeks, suspended for one year, at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said: “When she had gone upstairs, he took the opportunity to steal the shoebox. He took all the money that was there.
“Voda took the money while she was asleep or out of the room. She has no memory of the evening at all.”
Voda was arrested on October 27, and Mrs Hine said he was found in possession of £590 in cash by police.
A search of the defendant’s former home in Buccleuch Street uncovered £3,780 in the lining of a suitcase. This money has since been returned.
Voda had pleaded guilty to the theft earlier in the month.
The pair met in Barrow town centre and arrived at the woman’s house at approximately 4am.
Mr Trystan Roberts, defending, said: “This is a defendant who came to this country to better his position and to work hard.
“He met the victim of this offence. They have gone home together and they have enjoyed each other’s company downstairs.
“It is effectively a spur of the moment offence, which very shortly afterwards has been bitterly regretted.”
Chairman of the magistrates, Alison Spurgeon-Dixon, ordered Voda to complete 280 hours of unpaid work.
He was given a curfew between 7pm and 7am for six weeks, and ordered to pay £85 court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|