Barrow built submarine returns to sea after refit
Last updated at 12:42, Wednesday, 26 March 2014
A SUBMARINE built in Barrow has returned to the sea after being refitted.
The Royal Navy nuclear-powered hunter killer submarine HMS Torbay has emerged from Plymouth after being upgraded.
The Trafalgar Class submarine's nuclear power plant has been given a new lease of life.
Her Commanding Officer Cdr Andy Johns said: “Having completed an extensive period of maintenance in Devonport, my Ship’s Company and I are genuinely excited about the prospect of heading out to sea and getting the boat underwater for the first time in over two years.
“With a busy and interesting programme to look forward to this year, we can’t wait to get on with it. 2014 will be the year of Torbay.”
HMS Torbay will shortly return to operational duties, ready to take on the busy schedule of a duty patrol submarine.
First published at 11:52, Wednesday, 26 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|