Barrow BAE Systems submarines reactor contract goes to Rolls-Royce
Last updated at 17:16, Friday, 15 February 2013
A BILLION-POUND contract to produce new reactor cores for the next generation of BAE Systems submarines in Barrow has been awarded to Rolls-Royce.
The Ministry of Defence says the £1.1bn investment will secure 300 jobs and fund the refurbishment of the firm’s plant in Derby.
Britain’s nuclear weapons system is made up of four Royal Navy submarines, based at the Faslane naval base on the Clyde, which can deploy Trident ballistic missiles carrying nuclear warheads.
Announcing the latest investment, the MoD said replacing the existing infrastructure at Rolls-Royce with state-of-the-art nuclear reactor core production facilities would cost about £500m.
A further £600m will be spent on producing new reactor cores for the Astute and Successor class submarines.
The Ministry of Defence has already set aside £3bn to begin work on the new submarines to replace the four Vanguard class boats.
First published at 15:51, Friday, 15 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Four more convicted over brawl at Barrow game
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Officials take advice on range of ideas for Grange historic lido
- Police investigating fail to stop road traffic collision in Barrow
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- Barrow teen hid bat in his shorts while on plant food
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal
- Sacrifices may be needed to save Cumbria maternity services
- Cumbria bus strike threat looms if talks over working hours fail
- Barrow AFC defender to sign new two-year deal
- Barrow AFC keeper battle to heat up
- Barrow karate kid is magic on the mat: WITH PICTURE GALLERY
- Junior girls football league seeking to build on strong campaign (1 comment)
- Barrow ASC earn Diddy League title
- Cents bid to end their final hoodoo
- Furness ace Natasha scores hole-in-one
- Dalton chef Dave serves up a golfing treat
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Chris aims to bring cool city-style bar to Furness (6 comments)
- Millom keep marching on: with picture gallery
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Dalton police
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Defending champions Furness back to winning ways
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed (5 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|