Barrow BAE Systems submarines reactor contract goes to Rolls-Royce
Last updated at 17:16, Friday, 15 February 2013
A BILLION-POUND contract to produce new reactor cores for the next generation of BAE Systems submarines in Barrow has been awarded to Rolls-Royce.
The Ministry of Defence says the £1.1bn investment will secure 300 jobs and fund the refurbishment of the firm’s plant in Derby.
Britain’s nuclear weapons system is made up of four Royal Navy submarines, based at the Faslane naval base on the Clyde, which can deploy Trident ballistic missiles carrying nuclear warheads.
Announcing the latest investment, the MoD said replacing the existing infrastructure at Rolls-Royce with state-of-the-art nuclear reactor core production facilities would cost about £500m.
A further £600m will be spent on producing new reactor cores for the Astute and Successor class submarines.
The Ministry of Defence has already set aside £3bn to begin work on the new submarines to replace the four Vanguard class boats.
First published at 15:51, Friday, 15 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Police warning - Barrow road closed after traffic collision
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock (2 comments)
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow firm hosts successful recruitment fair (1 comment)
- Paddlers steam ahead on choppy Coniston Water
- Barrow Raiders have fingers crossed for Ward
- Post Office close to delivering Ulverston League shock
- Taylor keen to stay at Barrow AFC
- Askam football ace ready to take on the world with England (1 comment)
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Barrow Raiders claw victory at Bears
- Barrow Raiders brush Bears aside
- Theo makes trip very worthwhile
- Wheelbase crew happy to hang in there with elite riders
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|