Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 02 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow baby delivered and brought to life by his aunt and grandmas

A FIRST-TIME dad has described the incredible moment his mum and sister delivered his baby boy – before bringing him to life.

Tyler-Jenson Mould had to be untangled from his umbilical cord by his 23-year-old aunt during a dramatic birth at mum Caroline Higgins’ home in Ainslie Street, Barrow last Friday.

Having been delivered with the help of both his grandmothers, the little one subjected his family to a tense few seconds which felt like a lifetime.

Dad, Johnathan Mould, said: “He came out literally blue, there was no screaming, no noise at all.

“I was crying my eyes out and trying to calm Caroline down.”

The 27-year-old, of Fenton Street, Barrow, added: “My mum rubbed him on the back, rubbed his heart and gave him a little tap and the next minute, he started crying.

“It was the happiest moment of my life.”

Mum-of-three Ms Higgins, 34, was discharged from Furness General Hospital on Sunday, having been transferred by ambulance staff who arrived minutes after Tyler-Jenson was born.

Ms Higgins had already been to FGH that day, with labour pains and contractions every 10 minutes, but left after they slowed down.

But having returned home at around 9am, she gave birth at 10.53am.

Getting out of the shower, Mr Mould found his girlfriend in terrible pain, and called her mum over straight away.

At that point, he said: “She was in so much pain I thought, ‘I’ll have to call an ambulance’ and, when I was speaking to the operator, my mum and sister showed up.

“A couple of minutes later she was screaming her head off and my mum said, ‘She’s not going to make it. We’re going to have to deliver here’.”

While Mr Mould supported his girlfriend, her mum, Angela, took the phone and began passing instructions to his mum, Julie, and sister, Zana.

At one point, Mr Mould said, his sister had to break through the amniotic sac, as it was blocking the baby’s passage.

Meanwhile, his mum turned her grandson’s face away to prevent the waters getting in his mouth.

It was then Miss Mould realised Tyler-Jenson was tangled in the cord.

Mr Mould said: “She had both hands in, using her fingers to unwrap it from around his face, neck and body.”

Despite it being a traumatic labour, Mr Mould and his girlfriend will always treasure the way their son was born.

He said: “We worked as a team to get him out safe, and they did a great job. I’m so proud of them.

“They’ve never done anything like that before, they just acted instinctively.

“It’s the best thing that could ever happen to someone – your mother and sister delivering your baby boy.

“Now they’ll have that bond with him because they were the first faces he saw when he entered the world.

“I couldn’t have asked for anything better.”

Have your say

Your story made me cry! Well done all of you and may little Tyler have a long and happy life x

Posted by Angela on 1 February 2013 at 13:25

Well done to you all, a fantastic happy ending too. Believe FGH maternity are short staffed..Temporary midwives??

Posted by jen on 31 January 2013 at 20:21

View all 3 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out