Barrow and Carlisle shops praised over under-age drinking
Last updated at 16:26, Friday, 15 February 2013
RETAILERS have been praised after they refused to serve under-aged drinkers and smokers in a recent council operation.
Cumbria County Council’s Trading Standards team carried out the operation at outlets in Barrow and Carlisle.
However, a number of retailers did still break the rules in selling alcohol to a “proxy purchaser” where it is clear that the adult is buying to supply to a child.
Angela Jones, Cumbria Trading Standards manager, said: “I am very pleased that all the retailers tested refused direct sales of either alcohol or tobacco.
“I am however disappointed that some retailers are not aware of the requirements preventing the proxy sale of alcohol.”
First published at 15:45, Friday, 15 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|