Barrow addict started dealing to pay cash owed for drugs
Last updated at 16:22, Tuesday, 14 January 2014
A DRUG addict who peddled heroin on the streets of Barrow to try and clear a debt has been jailed for two and a half years.
Edward Melton was stopped on Ramsden Street by police acting on intelligence.
Sixteen wraps of heroin were found at his flat and a court heard he had been dealing for around two weeks beforehand.
Melton, 27, of School Street, Barrow, had pleaded guilty to one charge of conspiracy to supply a Class A drug and another of possessing such a drug with intent to supply.
Preston Crown Court was told yesterday that police had stopped Melton in the street on September 26.
Mr Joseph Allman, prosecuting, said the defendant had been dealing on the street for another man.
Melton was carrying a bag which turned out to contain eight empty knotted plastic bags that had traces of brown powder.
He had £325 cash, a mobile phone and a spoon bearing brown residue.
Sixteen individual deals of heroin were found at his flat, as well as some digital scales and a roll of plastic bags.
Melton had 39 previous offences on his record, but none of those were related to drug trafficking.
Mr Richard Archer, defending, said his client had been very frank with the police.
“He did the bidding of another man for a two-week period, giving drugs to 10 friends.
“He didn’t have any real management function in the chain”.
Mr Archer said the defendant was now a different man to the one arrested in September. He had now “grasped the nettle” regarding his drug addiciton and was on a methadone reduction programme.
The judge, Recorder Michael Murray, told the defendant: “Anyone should realise that if a person like you gets involved in such a thing, then there is going to be a serious sentence of imprisonment.
“The public demand it.”
First published at 16:15, Tuesday, 14 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|