Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 25 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow director ‘disappointed’ at fans’ silence to police

BARROW AFC director John Mackay has criticised some Bluebirds fans for refusing to assist detectives investigating an outbreak of hooliganism during their cup tie at Atherstone Town.

Home fans sparked the disgraceful scenes, marring AFC’s 4-0 victory over Atherstone during their FA Cup third qualifying round clash on October 12.

Mackay has been in “regular contact” with Warwickshire Police who have asked the director to contact witnesses, while also giving him regular updates on the progress of the investigation.

So far 29 individuals have been arrested in connection with the incident.

And Mackay confirmed in Saturday’s AFC matchday programme – as part of his “View from the Boardroom” column – that Atherstone have been hit with a £350 fine by the Football Association after being found guilty of “not keeping control of their fans”.

Mackay reassured fans that detectives are thoroughly probing the matter and added in his column: “The police have been talking to many individuals who attended that day while also coming up to Barrow to take statements.

“I thank all those who have who have supported the police in their efforts to gain the evidence to be able to prosecute but at the same time I am very disappointed with key witnesses from the Barrow fans who refused to assist the police.

“If everyone took the same stand then police would have difficulty in gaining the outcome we all expect of these individuals being dealt with by the law.”

Mackay says that thugs who took a flag belonging to a Barrow supporter and burned it have been identified and been made to pay the owner compensation for the damage.

With regard to those people who have been arrested he also stated that the police hope to consult the Crown Prosecution Service “around the middle of January to start proceedings with a court date around the middle of February”.

Have your say

WOW 350 pound fine. No wonder they had no security.

Posted by neil on 30 December 2013 at 22:31

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Should Scotland become independent?



Show Result

• Click here to sign up for the Energy For Life - Walney Fun Run

Dining out

Go green 30


MDW plumbing and heating 10 year anniversary

Walk to remember 2014

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out