Banned Barrow football fan ordered to hand in passport ahead of World Cup
Last updated at 16:22, Tuesday, 10 June 2014
A BARROW football fan has been ordered to hand in his passport ahead of the World Cup.
Under legislation anyone subjected to a football banning order has to hand over their passport during major tournaments, including the World Cup and European Championship.
In Cumbria there are seven fans subject to banning orders – six in Carlisle and one man from Barrow.
Jon Doherty, of Victoria Road, Barrow, was subjected to a three-year banning order in 2012.
Doherty, 21, was arrested by British Transport Police for being drunk and disorderly at Preston railway station on November 3, after returning from the Guiseley v Barrow FA Cup game.
The game was his first match after a three-year ban that expired in September 2012.
Under the ban he is forbidden from entering any football stadium in the UK as well as prevented from travelling overseas to major tournaments.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria police said: “Cumbria as a force has seven football banning orders in place, one at Barrow and six at Carlisle.
“The legislation for Brazil is that the control period begins ten days prior to the first fixture June 12.
“Those who are banned will be required to surrender their passport at the police station in Barrow or Carlisle on that date for the duration of the tournament, and can collect it again on July 14, the day after the final – irrespective of England’s progress.
“In previous years they have then had to report to police stations on the day of England fixtures, however this is now not the case and hasn’t been for the last two major tournaments/championships.”
First published at 15:14, Tuesday, 10 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- UPDATE: Woman airlifted to hospital and road closed after Barrow crash
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|