BAE Systems submarine to move in Barrow
Last updated at 17:46, Wednesday, 23 July 2014
A BARROW street came to a standstill after a section of the latest super-sub was moved.
BAE Systems moved the section of Anson, the fifth Astute class submarine, earlier today.
The rear section of the boat moved from the firm’s New Assembly Shop in Bridge Road, to the Devonshire Dock Hall, in North Road, at 9.15am.
Tomorrow the section is due to return to the New Assembly Shop at 9.15am and then at 2.15pm the section is due to travel back along Bridge Road to Devonshire Dock Hall.
The first two subs in the series – HMS Astute and HMS Ambush – have been handed over to the Royal Navy, while the remaining five are now in various stages of construction and steel was cut in March to begin work on the seventh boat.
Boat three Artful was launched earlier this year and will be followed by Audacious, Anson, Agamemnon and boat seven will be named Ajax.
Sonar onboard the boat is so powerful that it can detect a ship leaving New York harbour while the Astute class subs are stationed in the English Channel.
First published at 17:39, Wednesday, 23 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|