BAE Systems Barrow submarine launch is imminent
Last updated at 15:09, Thursday, 13 March 2014
THE latest Astute-class submarine will be put into the water soon.
Seven nuclear powered attack submarines are being designed, built and commissioned for the Royal Navy in Barrow.
The first two – HMS Astute and HMS Ambush – have been handed over to the Royal Navy, while the remaining five are now in various stages of construction. And steel was cut this week on the seventh boat.
Tony Johns, BAE Systems Maritime – Submarines managing director said boat number three, Artful, is nearly ready to be launched.
He said: “Hopefully in the next two to three months you will see Artful going into water. The reason I’m slightly vague is because we always make sure the submarine is in the best condition it can be to go in the water, because that minimises the work that needs to be done downstream. But it’s not far away.”
First published at 09:58, Thursday, 13 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|