BAE Systems Barrow boss welcomes deal to build seven Astute subs
Last updated at 16:31, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
A MULTI-BILLION pound contract has been welcomed as “tremendous news” for the Barrow shipyard.
Yesterday, the government announced that £1.2bn had been earmarked to build Audacious and a further £1.5bn has been committed to the remaining three submarines in the Astute class – boats five, six and seven.
The £1.2bn contract with BAE Systems, which safeguards 3,000 skilled jobs in Barrow, will be used to build the fourth Astute submarine, which will be the most technically advanced boat in the Royal Navy’s fleet.
Speaking to the Evening Mail, BAE Systems Maritime – Submarines managing director John Hudson said the announcement proved the government’s long-term commitment to Barrow.
He said: “It is a tremendous day for the yard and the announcement is tremendously important.
“The government issued back in 2010 the option to build all the Astute class submarines but we had to demonstrate that the programme was affordable and that we were capable of meeting their requirements.
“They have now made a confident commitment to us but for the first time they have also made a commitment to the rest of the programme.”
Mr Hudson said BAE would still have to deliver on its guarantees but that the contract should allow work on boats four, five, six and seven to continue until 2024.
Audacious is the fourth of seven Astute class submarines being built for the Royal Navy and further technical improvements will be made to the boat to ensure it is up-to-date.
The first two boats, HMS Astute and Ambush, are currently undergoing sea trials to rigorously test their systems, which Mr Hudson said are going well.
The third boat, Artful, is reaching the final stages of construction at Barrow shipyard, which should be completed in the new year.
The contract has been welcomed by Barrow and Furness MP John Woodcock, who said work at the shipyard could act as a tonic for the town.
He said: “This announcement confirms the continuance of the programme that was started by the last Labour government and it is a reassuring confidence boost for Barrow and the surrounding communities. A thriving shipyard has to be the keystone of the Furness economy and that has been cemented by this welcome news.”
First published at 16:37, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
- Barrow mum in £17,000 benefit fraud (4 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|