Model Askam mum Gemma in bid for stardom
Last updated at 08:46, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
AN aspiring model has her sights set on Hollywood after being invited to compete in a prestigious beauty pageant.
Gemma Frazer, from Steel Street, Askam, will be taking part in the Model of the Year Grand Final contest run by the Kerri Parker Model Agency, after applying for a chance to compete.
The winner will bag a prize package worth £5,000, including flights to Los Angeles, the opportunity to sign with a Hollywood agent, a calendar photo shoot on Malibu Beach, and invitations to red carpet events.
Ms Frazer, 25, said: “It’s a really big competition, and I was amazed when I got accepted.”
The contest, set up by professional model Kerri Parker, will also be raising money for Help for Heroes, through the entry fees paid by the 30 finalists.
The mum-of-one has been modelling for around eight years, but is also studying at Furness College, with a view to go onto study psychology at university.
She is no stranger to beauty pageants, having competed in Miss Merseyside 2011 and Miss Manchester last year.
Despite the fact that she has also been selected to represent Cumbria in the Miss England competition next year, she is keeping her feet firmly on the ground.
“It will be the experience of a lifetime, especially for me coming from such a small town.
“ I just think it’s good for girls like me, in full time education and a mum to a four-year-old, to be able to do things like this. I want to show other girls like me that you can do both and still follow your dreams even if you are a mum.
“Beauty pageants sometimes get a bad rap but I think they are really empowering. I know looks don’t last forever and that’s why I’ve got my education to fall back on.”
The competition is due to take place on Saturday November 24, at Epic Studios in Norwich, a former ITV production studio.
Ms Frazer added: “At first I was nervous, but now I’m getting really excited.”
First published at 16:46, Monday, 19 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow - increase in train services announced
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- Case of Barrow man charged with attempted murder adjourned
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|