Model Askam mum Gemma in bid for stardom
Last updated at 08:46, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
AN aspiring model has her sights set on Hollywood after being invited to compete in a prestigious beauty pageant.
Gemma Frazer, from Steel Street, Askam, will be taking part in the Model of the Year Grand Final contest run by the Kerri Parker Model Agency, after applying for a chance to compete.
The winner will bag a prize package worth £5,000, including flights to Los Angeles, the opportunity to sign with a Hollywood agent, a calendar photo shoot on Malibu Beach, and invitations to red carpet events.
Ms Frazer, 25, said: “It’s a really big competition, and I was amazed when I got accepted.”
The contest, set up by professional model Kerri Parker, will also be raising money for Help for Heroes, through the entry fees paid by the 30 finalists.
The mum-of-one has been modelling for around eight years, but is also studying at Furness College, with a view to go onto study psychology at university.
She is no stranger to beauty pageants, having competed in Miss Merseyside 2011 and Miss Manchester last year.
Despite the fact that she has also been selected to represent Cumbria in the Miss England competition next year, she is keeping her feet firmly on the ground.
“It will be the experience of a lifetime, especially for me coming from such a small town.
“ I just think it’s good for girls like me, in full time education and a mum to a four-year-old, to be able to do things like this. I want to show other girls like me that you can do both and still follow your dreams even if you are a mum.
“Beauty pageants sometimes get a bad rap but I think they are really empowering. I know looks don’t last forever and that’s why I’ve got my education to fall back on.”
The competition is due to take place on Saturday November 24, at Epic Studios in Norwich, a former ITV production studio.
Ms Frazer added: “At first I was nervous, but now I’m getting really excited.”
First published at 16:46, Monday, 19 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Barrow woman attacked man with ashtray
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders defeated at Swinton Lions
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|