Art gives Millom station new lease of life
Published at 16:53, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
STUDENTS’ dazzling artwork has given Millom station a new lease of life.
The colourful designs, featuring iconic images of Millom’s past and present, now adorn the walls of the Barrow-bound platform.
The Friends of Millom Station commissioned art students from Millom School to produce a colourful mural to brighten up the platform.
Speaking at Thursday’s unveiling, FoM secretary, Dot Williams, said the finished artwork spoke of the town’s rich history.
She said: “The students have a great art teacher (Simone Faulkner, head of art at Millom School), and right from the start nothing was a problem for her.
“The mural is more than pictures and photos. It speaks of the Millom that the students know; the buildings, the events and the scenery of the area.
“They have also revealed Millom’s industrial past and the hard work that meant for so many people in Millom.
“I like to think of the mural as a collaboration of the young people of Millom, who are the future of the town.”
Miss Faulkner said: “The Friends of Millom Station came to me with the idea of painting a mural on the platform, but it would have taken a long time for students to do that.
“So we came up with the idea of putting their designs on to print board, which means they’ll withstand the test of time.
“It’s not very often that a school can say they have an open-air, public gallery to show what they can do.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|