Amount of infections in South Cumbria hospitals cut but targets missed
Last updated at 15:07, Friday, 18 April 2014
DEADLY hospital infections have been slashed by two thirds in South Cumbria’s hospitals – although targets are still being missed.
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Furness General Hospital in Barrow, says it has reduced C-difficile and MRSA infections in the last five years – although it missed its own targets last year.
C-difficile, a bacterial infection in the digestive system, can cause life-threatening complications.
Spores of the bacteria can be passed out of the human body in faeces and can survive for many weeks, sometimes months, on objects and surfaces.
The UHMBT target for the number of infections in 2013/14 was 36, but 50 cases were reported. The target for 2014/15 has been revised to 46.
Sue Smith, executive chief nurse at UHMBT, said: “We have made a good start in reducing infections. Five years ago there were 20 patients diagnosed with MRSA and 251 with C-difficile in our hospitals.
“Last year there was one MRSA case and 50 cases of C-difficile. However, just one case is too many and I want to ensure that we take every precaution to ensure that any unavoidable infection is prevented.”
Chief executive of the trust, Jackie Daniel, said: “In 2014, the trust aims to introduce hydrogen peroxide fogging to enhance its cleaning programme. This has worked well in many NHS trusts and we are keen to introduce it in ours.
“There is a lot of C-difficile in our community so we ask the public not to visit patients if they have any sickness or diarrhoea. Washing hands with soap and water is something everyone can do to help.
“In response to the improvements being made we will monitor this performance as one of the priorities for 2014/15.”
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence yesterday said nationally 800 patients a day – one in 16 patients – are infected while receiving NHS treatment. The infections cause 5,000 deaths per year and contribute to 15,000 more.
First published at 14:34, Friday, 18 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|