Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 19 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

AIDS claim woman attacked PC in Barrow

A POLICE officer was left bleeding from an attack by a woman who then claimed to have AIDS, a court heard.

Paula Whitehouse, 37, pleaded guilty to assaulting a constable in the execution of his duty when she appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

Whitehouse was being held at Barrow police station on November 6 when she attacked PC Chris Ivison by kicking him and scratching his hand.

Mr John Appleby, prosecuting, said: “She had been taken into police custody on an unrelated matter. She was taken to Barrow police station and placed in the custody holding area.

“It is apparent from PC Ivison’s statement and the closed circuit television footage that Miss Whitehouse was quite volatile while she was in the custody area.”

The court heard that PC Ivison had attempted to return Whitehouse to her seat after she had tried to leave the holding area.

Mr Appleby said: “As he sat her down she kicked him with one of her feet in the right shin causing pain and discomfort. She dug her fingernails into his right thumb and she did break the skin.”

Following this attack, Whitehouse was alleged to have said: “I’ve got AIDS.”

Mr Appleby said: “This remark caused the officer considerable distress. He said in his statement that she had dirty fingernails and an open wound on her left arm.

“When interviewed about the incident she denied making the remark about having AIDS but she did say she had another condition, hepatitis C.”

The court heard that the assault had left the PC with tenderness and bruising on his shin, as well as a cut on his thumb. He will also require a blood test.

Mr Mike Graham, defending, said that Whitehouse’s actions were due to her state of mind at the time of the incident.

Mr Graham said: “She was in the holding area waiting to be seen by the custody sergeant, which does take quite a considerable amount of time.”

Mr Graham further described Whitehouse, of High Lea Walk, Barrow, as being “anxious” and “in drink” at the time.

The court heard that Whitehouse, who is unemployed, takes medication for depression and a persistent back problem and sees a psychiatrist once a month.

Presiding magistrate, Mr George Butler, imposed a curfew, ordering Whitehouse to remain at home between 6pm and 8am for five weeks. Mr Butler said: “Had you not pleaded guilty, it would have been eight weeks.”

Whitehouse was also ordered to pay £200 in compensation to PC Ivison and well as a £60 victim surcharge and £85 in costs, to be deducted from her benefits.

Have your say

Sounds like she put up a good fight with her "persistent bad back". As she is unemployed she has no money to pay any fines. Community service and a lot of hours, as it is too expensive to send her to the over crowded jail, which is really where she belongs.

Posted by Justice on 3 December 2013 at 20:20

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Will you be going to church Easter?



Show Result


Do you use public transport?



Show Result

Click here to sign up for the Energy For Life -Walney Fun Run

Dining out

MDW plumbing and heating 10 year anniversary

Walk to remember 2014


Going digital

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out